kde-qt branches after 4.6.0 release

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Tue Dec 1 16:40:49 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Dmitry Suzdalev <dimsuzkde at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 18:41:09 Parker Coates wrote:
>> Well to be fair, Thiago's been dealing with a lot of questions and
>> complaints about kde-qt lately. I imagine it's getting to be a bit of
>> headache for him. We also keep changing our minds about what we want
>> kde-qt to be.
> If we speak about original branches layout (for which Thiago was criticized) i
> can say the following:
>
> Personally I don't understand how doing two commands from the beginning
> (checking out needed branch and pulling into it) instead of one is *that*
> complex. We're developers here after all, no? Is learning another set of
> commands (which Thiago shown back then) really so complicated?
>
> I think the reason is mostly "I want it to be svn-like and I don't want to
> learn git" kind of thinking. I can understand it, but this has a flaw - you'll
> have to learn git (at least to extent needed to do above command) at some
> point (when we will switch), and you'll have to shift your mind set to a
> distributed VCS. I think it's better to do it sooner rather than later :)
>
> Perhaps I should spoke back then, but somehow I got distracted by "screams" -
> "make it SVN like!" :P
>
> I'm considering myself rather noobish with git, but somehow I learned to
> understand what checkout, fetch, merge and pull do. Maybe on a really basic
> level, but I can't say this was something hard to learn. So I encourage svn-
> model lovers to start looking into git model ;)

No, you are wrong.

The problem with the original kde-qt.git model was you needed to know
what was the blessed branch that day and when to git checkout some
other branch: Thiago (or whoever is in charge of kde-qt.git) would
create new branches once, and every KDE developer would need to git
checkout the blessed branch of the moment. Knowing the "right" branch
of kde-qt.git was the whole problem, all the time.

As opposed to that, I proposed that there would be a well-known
blessed branch and we would just follow that branch.

I did not know that would make impossible to extract the kde-qt.git
patches we had in qt-copy in svn. Why is that useful? Because 99% of
the time those patches make sense and packageers may want to apply
those patches to the Qt4 packages. In fact, at work we did apply those
patches to Qt4 commercial until 4.5.2 (we never moved to 4.5.3, which
is the first version of kde-qt.git).

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org