situation with window decorations

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Fri Aug 28 09:16:30 BST 2009

A Sexta, 28 de Agosto de 2009 04:24:05 Lucas Murray vocĂȘ escreveu:
> The facts on Oxygen/Nitrogen:
>
> 1) Oxygen still doesn't have the settings for customisation. Once they
> add all the useful settings from Nitrogen then I agree that Nitrogen
> will probably not be needed anymore, however as the current state of
> Oxygen doesn't have those customisations then an alternative
> decoration must be made available if we want the features to be
> available in trunk/KDE 4.4 (I develop for the present, not the
> future).
> 2) Oxygen developers refuse to add any setting that makes things look
> ugly even if they can be useful to some people (Quote in context is
> available in this thread).
> 3) I am ensuring that Nitrogen and Oxygen are pixel-perfect copies
> when default settings are used (Another reason why the default hasn't
> been switched).
> 4) The Nitrogen configuration panel needs work (And it's being changed
> at an alarming rate). Some settings need better descriptions/layouts
> and the like.
> 5) Nitrogen does contain settings that will probably not be used by
> anyone. It was copied AS IS from KDE-Look, useless settings and all.
> They however add almost no maintenance as all that the setting change
> is a single small section of the rendering code. The big settings that
> change everything are far from useless such as the border size
> setting.
> 6) Nitrogen is the #1 KWin decoration on KDE-Look even if it's only
> been available for 7 months (That's my definition of "what users
> want"). 10,000 downloads and an overall score of 93% cannot be wrong
> (Cannot get exact numbers as KDE-Look is currently down).
> 7) Ozone's only extra setting is being enabled by some users
> (Non-OpenSuSE users) as KWin receives bug reports VERY quickly when it
> breaks (And apparently it's still broken... Works for me though).
> 8) I asked Nuno on IRC if it was fine to swap Ozone with Nitrogen
> before I did the switch and he said it was fine...
> 9) I am the developer that is overviewing all this, not Lubos. I do
> however have the same view as him and have been discussing with the
> Oxygen team on how to fix this whole Oxygen/Ozone thing since I joined
> the KWin team over a year ago with absolutely no success at all.

So let me get this, you did not talk with nitrogen developer? you just copied
it over from kde-look and ported it to kdebase?

> About the off-topic snapping issue that the Oxygen team wants:
>
> 1) Oxygen team wants to be able to customise the snapping zones of a
> window from the decoration.
> 2) They want it so if a user clicks on another window but it close to
> a window's decoration then it will issue a resize command.
> 3) If the snapping zone is changed then it will allow two windows to
> overlap each other by a small amount even if the user cannot see it
> (As the overlapping part is transparent)
> 4) This means if the user wants to click a part of a window near the
> edge of another window then they will accidentally resize the window
> instead (Bad).
> 5) It will be possible to resize a window to the edge of the screen
> but not be able to resize it back as the resize handle is now off the
> screen (Bad).
> 6) Customising the snapping zone can only work when compositing is enabled.
> 7) I am not for or against adding this feature but other developers
> have voiced their opinion against it (I'll let them discuss it if they
> find it important).

I see alot of confusion here .... all we want is to make the hit area of the
bottom corner extend a bit into the shadow area, so that we can make the
window itself smaller. This is something nitrogen does but creates an
extremely hard to click and drag resize corner.

--
Oxygen coordinator