device-automounter moved to kdereview

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Aug 17 07:09:11 BST 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 23:04:01 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > 2) AutomountEnabled should have false by default. So that means that
> > (with the previous change) automounting is completely shutdown by
> > default. We can't really afford having something doing automounting
> > enabled by default for the reasons I pointed out above (multi-user envs,
> > formatting, etc.)
>
> I disagree at least in parts because I claim that newbies and "normal"
> users, i.e. those with less knowledge should be the ones defaults aim at.

Except that the use case for that are people with knowledge about what
mount/unmount is and want to access their device *now* from the console
without mounting first. Those obviously have enough knowledge to turn on the
automount and I don't plan to optimize for them (I'm one of those BTW).

For all the other users out there, the "mount on demand" as it is implemented
right now is enough. Anywhere you could access a device from the UI we mount
as soon as the user tries to make a first access attempt. It's not like they
need to know what mounting is...

> There should be some discussion about the actual cases where this can lead
> to problems and better ways around them than just disabling this useful
> feature.

There's on going work for that in the infrastructure below KDE (mainly on
Linux, and in the form of D-Bus services tied in system specifics facilities)
but it's still not ready yet, and I see nothing coming for some of the non-
Linux free platforms (I might be wrong there as I didn't check in a while).

Note that I'm not advocating to make it off by default until the end of times.
But right now it's calling for troubles to make it default.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."