RFC: A Qt-only library in kdesupport

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 23:01:50 BST 2009

Hi,

Many classes in kdelibs are extensions of functionality provided by Qt, but would be useful to any Qt using application. I'm thinking proxy models (extending Interview functionality), and some rich text stuff I've written and more that I'm planning to write (extending Scribe functionality).

I think I've read that libplasma is largely Qt only (extending QGraphicsView), though I may have misunderstood. It would be great to have a place to put these things where they can be used in the applications we write which don't have to depend on KDE stuff. There's no reason for KSelectionProxyModel[1] or the RichTextBuilders[2](although I'm going to rewrite those classes soon) to depend on KDE.

A new library could have the same licencing and binary compatibility requirements as kdelibs, and carry the label as being "from the KDE community". We could even put it in gitorious as a relatively small scale learning opportunity for that tool.

Thoughts, Comments?

All the best,

Steve.

[1] http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/classKSelectionProxyModel.html