liboxygenhelper?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 10 10:04:06 BST 2009

Em Segunda-feira 10 Agosto 2009, às 08:48:25, Andreas Pakulat escreveu:
> > The problem is about providing a separate binary package for it. That's
> > pretty clear.
>
> I assume there's a "not" missing in that sentence?

Right, sorry. The problem is *not* about providing a separate binary.

> > The problem is about providing a separate *source* package for it. If KDE
> > doesn't do that, it becomes very difficult for packagers.
>
> Why? They already split up several of our source packages when building
> binary packages. I don't see why that would be harder for kdelibs than
> for any other of our source packages.

The problem is how to compile kdebase 4.x with kdelibs 4.y with y >= x.

You need to build kdelibs twice, in order to get the 4.x requirements. Then
you throw away the rest and build 4.y.

The experimental lib policy addresses that.

> > The policy we came up for experimental libs solves that, by forcing
> > separate source releases. If oxygenhelper wants, it can do exactly that.
>
> As was said elsewhere, that was intended for libs that are going for a
> stable API. In this case thats not going to happen AFAIU.

Irrelevant. The policy addresses that too, just the fact that they never reach
a final API.

That means they need to keep changing soname in every release. And keep on
releasing separate packages.

This problem can be addressed differently by requiring kdelibs and kdebase
versions to match. That would apply to the entirety of kdebase, though, which
means other applications there (konqueror, plasma, kwin, konsole) would only
be upgradable in block.

We're basically talking here about a "kdebaselibs" module (or kdebase/libs),
and this is getting silly. We have kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kofficelibs (future),
kdevplatform, and now kdebaselibs.

It's not that hard to maintain binary compatibility, especially if you know
who your only two users are.

  Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Software
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358