liboxygenhelper?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Aug 10 07:48:25 BST 2009

On 10.08.09 08:13:43, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> >> akonadi is not part of kdelibs
> >> so far, I've been told that akonadiprivate is only named private "to
> >> scare off people who don't know what they are doing", not because it
> >> isn't keeping a stable abi
> >> and I do expect akonadiprivate to use a proper abi stability policy
> >> (change major version of soname on BIC changes between releases)
> >
> >So I guess your problem with library that doesn't keep BC in kdelibs is
> >that you might have to change kdelibs name on each release? If thats the
> >case, this is basically a "packagers-only" issue and could easily be
> >solved by simply splitting out this single lib from kdelibs and
> >providing a separate binary package for it. I'm assuming that
> >liboxygenhelper plays by the rules and changes its SONAME when breaking
> >BC.
>
> The problem is about providing a separate binary package for it. That's
> pretty clear.

I assume there's a "not" missing in that sentence?

> The problem is about providing a separate *source* package for it. If KDE
> doesn't do that, it becomes very difficult for packagers.

Why? They already split up several of our source packages when building
binary packages. I don't see why that would be harder for kdelibs than
for any other of our source packages.

> The policy we came up for experimental libs solves that, by forcing
> separate source releases. If oxygenhelper wants, it can do exactly that.

As was said elsewhere, that was intended for libs that are going for a
stable API. In this case thats not going to happen AFAIU.

Andreas

--
You will get what you deserve.