Require Soprano for kdelibs

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Aug 6 08:03:39 BST 2009

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 22:21:19 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 August 2009, Allen Winter wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Currently Soprano is optional.  Without it, we don't build nepomuk in
> > kdelibs.
> >
> > Can we make Soprano a hard requirement?

Interestingly it is a hard requirement for the Akonadi server currently, which
in turn is a hard dependency of kdepimlibs...

> I could imagine how some developers might say "why should I need soprano if
> I just want to run <some KDE application> on Windows ?"

... or "Why would I need searching in KMail on Windows?" ;-)

> IOW, it would increase the dependencies (bloat ?) when
> running/distributing/deploying separate apps on Windows or OSX a bit.

I'm not really familiar with those platforms, do they provide anything
comparable to Soprano/Nepomuk?

> Can you motivate the request a bit more ?

Strigi/Soprano/Nepomuk is supposed to be the infrastructure for indexing and
searching in KDE PIM (and probably everywhere else in KDE as well), and
searching is IMHO such a fundamental feature there that it should not be
optional.
I'd rather deal with some people complaining about additional dependencies
than many more complaining about missing search support in KMail ;-)

In general, I think if we want to push the Nepomuk technology and encourage
applications to use it even for some for their fundamental features, it makes
sense to ensure that it is available everywhere. After all it's the only
optional part of kdelibs AFAIK.

Anyway, realizing that it is already a hard requirement for KDE PIM is good
enough for my current needs.

regards
Volker