Require Soprano for kdelibs

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Thu Aug 6 08:29:59 BST 2009

Hello Volker,

Am Donnerstag, 6. August 2009 09:03:39 schrieb Volker Krause:
> In general, I think if we want to push the Nepomuk technology and encourage
> applications to use it even for some for their fundamental features, it
> makes sense to ensure that it is available everywhere. After all it's the
> only optional part of kdelibs AFAIK.

this issue is similar to the one we've discussed on IRC the other day. There
are two stakeholders here: The ones who view it more from the policy side,
i.e. whether or not we should mandate the use of features, and the ones who
view it from the dependency or mechanism side, i.e. how modular should KDE
libraries be.

Let's just assume for a moment that we would like to find a good compromise.

A suitable measure for the discussion would be to have a look at the number of
entry points to Soprano. Is it most often just called with a single or a few
lines of code in very few places? In this case, making it optional with easy-
to-use cmake macros would technically be the best choice, and whether or not
it should be included by default should be solved at another level, not on the
code level. (I agree that just issuing warnings from CMake doesn't always
help.) Hiding policy decisions into code is not going to help in the long run.

If there are too many entry points and ways to use the library, then somebody
should probably rethink its API :)

If on the other hand we do not want a compromise and instead want to provide
as much bang for the lib as possible, similar to the philosophy of monolithic
runtime libraries such as Java, this strategy needs to be manifested
somewhere. The consequence being that it will most likely lead to duplicate
efforts at one point similar to kdenox/qtextended/JavaME if somebody wants to
use the libraries for smaller devices, custom appliances etc.

I'm not taking a position here about which way is better, but what kdelibs
lacks at the moment is a strategy about which way it wants to go, which
applications we consider KDE applications and which consequences we have to
expect in return.

Josef