RFC v2: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Apr 24 13:05:37 BST 2009

On 24.04.09 13:34:58, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Le Freitag, 24. April 2009, à 12:51, Kevin Krammer a écrit:
> > On Friday, 2009-04-24, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > For myself I would be happy to publish the okteta{core,gui} libs for
> > > reuse by others. But they are not extra to Okteta, they are fundamental.
> > > And will just change and be released along major KDE versions. So
> > > _extra_gear really does not fit for it IMHO. I would very much like
> > > another solution.
> >
> > If they are specific to a certain version of Okteta, just release them with
> > that version, no?
>
> But as far as I was told once they are released and published with kdeutils, I
> have to ensure ABI-stability until KDE5.

There's no policy in place that requires this, at least nothing thats
documented anywhere on techbase. So IMHO this is up to the module's
community and release coordinator to decide.

Note that there's also a precedent for this, libkdegames broke ABI between
4.0 and 4.1 (including increasement of SONAME of course).

And for sane distributions, who include the soname into the package names
and split up modules like kdeutils into separate packages this is also a
nobrainer. They can simply have libokteta0 and libokteta1 co-installable
(as long as its really just the library and no data files that also break
comaptibility) and apps using either will work.

Andreas

--
Give thought to your reputation.  Consider changing name and moving to
a new town.