RFC v2: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Apr 24 13:07:54 BST 2009

On 24.04.09 13:34:58, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Le Freitag, 24. April 2009, à 12:51, Kevin Krammer a écrit:
> > On Friday, 2009-04-24, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > For myself I would be happy to publish the okteta{core,gui} libs for
> > > reuse by others. But they are not extra to Okteta, they are fundamental.
> > > And will just change and be released along major KDE versions. So
> > > _extra_gear really does not fit for it IMHO. I would very much like
> > > another solution.
> >
> > If they are specific to a certain version of Okteta, just release them with
> > that version, no?
>
> But as far as I was told once they are released and published with kdeutils, I
> have to ensure ABI-stability until KDE5.

In fact, it is mentioned explicitly that this rule is only guaranteed for
the kde "core" libraries which are kdelibs and kdepimlibs. See the end of
the "Definition" paragraph in
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C++

Andreas

--
The whole world is a tuxedo and you are a pair of brown shoes.
		-- George Gobel