RFC v2: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Apr 24 13:38:43 BST 2009

Vrendredi, le 24 avril 2009, à 14:07, Andreas Pakulat a écrit:
> On 24.04.09 13:34:58, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > >
> > > If they are specific to a certain version of Okteta, just release them
> > > with that version, no?
> >
> > But as far as I was told once they are released and published with
> > kdeutils, I have to ensure ABI-stability until KDE5.
>
> In fact, it is mentioned explicitly that this rule is only guaranteed for
> the kde "core" libraries which are kdelibs and kdepimlibs. See the end of
> the "Definition" paragraph in
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C++

Ah, this is new, previous it was "In the KDE project, we will provide binary
compatibility within the life-span of a major release.", not restricted to
the core libs, like it is now after the change on "10:14, 19 January 2009".

Where was this discussed? Sorry for stirring things up, but the last time I am
aware of this was discussed I was left with the impression I cannot do this:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-release-team&m=121009073326312&w=2

Not that I am against the current policy regarding the problem with the okteta
libs :)
I just might need to prepare for the problem that two incompatible versions
are used together. Like two KDevelop plugins, where one is linked against
oktetalibs1 and another against oktetalibs2.
That might be solvable by numbering the namespace along the versions, so
symbol names won't clash, or?

Still this doesn't solve the problem with new, but api-unfrozen libs on the
level of kde(pim)libs.

Cheers
Friedrich
--