File dialog layout

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 15 17:18:40 BST 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008, Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> On Monday 15 September 2008 15:31:46 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Monday 15 September 2008, Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> > > Again: Nepomuk query service + Nepomuk KIO slave. It is all there and
> > > will even be in kdebase soon.
> >
> > ok, this half answers my question from the other branch in the thread; do
> > you have an ETA on these slaves? and does the ioslave return the usual
> > information on files returned or is there additional information that it
> > returns for each file?
>
> once the queryservice is in kdebase (currently in kdereview) I will move
> the kio slave to kdereview. We can do that even this week.

that'd be great.

> As for the info: so far you only get normal file information or actual
> Nepomuk resources which are of course not handled by KDE apps yet.

perhaps i could make the file dialog handle those resources and have it spit
out urls on the other side?

we do only want actual files in this dialog, so any resources retrieved would
have an associated URL. that would mean having a separate view for the search
in the file dialog ... hm .. that would be a fair amount of work ...

> As for additional information: I think here we enter the world of
> non-folder-hierarchy based opening which I thought about pretty often. But
> this is something for the near future. I think for now the kio slave is
> perfect in this situation.
>
> "Why was it found" - Sadly not implemented yet. Sorry.

ok, i'll try and keep up with the nepomuk devel (and you can feel free to poke
me in the ribs, too) so that i can keep the file dialog implementation using
the full capabilities of nepomuk ...

so here are my current plans for the file dialog based on all of this then:

KDE 4.2:
* add the search field and use the ioslave, show the results as a normal file
listing

KDE 4.3:
* make the file dialog aware of Nepomuk resources
* create a view for these returns if one doesn't already exist in Nepomuk-KDE
and use that view when searching instead of browsing

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se