Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 11 18:24:55 BST 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dijous 11 Setembre 2008, Aaron J. Seigo va escriure:
> > Spring -> Summer happens using the usual review and approval system;
> > people such as myself, Sebas, Marco, Chani, $OTHER_CENTRAL_PLASMA_DEVS
> > tend to do the bulk of approvals and merges. nobody outside of the core
> > team needs to worry about Spring branches unless they really care to.
>
> Sorry to hijack the thread at this mail, i've not been following much but
> this "core people" approval sentence just made my radar ring.

the context of the paragraph you quote is merging and branch maintenance, not
committing.

so my question to you would be: have you ever merged someone else's patchset
from our review board, a component from playground/ or a work/ branch into
trunk/ plasma?

the answer is "no", and i doubt that would ever change. the only people who
are motivated to do such work are:

* the people working on those branches/patches: it's their code, after all =)

* the core plasma team: we follow the project from day to day and so are there
to pick up the slack and are able to make informed decisions

this exactly the situation today.

in the larger context:

> Are we going to loose the capacity of committing everywhere?

that wouldn't make any sense, would it? =)

we'll still have our system of maintainers and basic social grace of not
randomly committing huge changes to someone else's application without
coordinating with them first, of course.

in fact, i would expect that it would be easier to to commit to more places as
we can do so without jeopardizing the main branch stability and require less
effort to branch/merge/cherrypick/rollback (assuming an improved SCM system for
that)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se