Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Sep 7 18:15:34 BST 2008

Tom Albers wrote:
>> Also note that Qt has a 8-10 month release schedule.
>
>Again, if there is any real advantage lineing up with that schedule,
> please come to the release-team mailinglist and convince us.

Quite frankly, there are a lot of advantages. For example, given the
current schedule, KDE 4.2 code cannot use Qt 4.5 snapshots or pre-final
releases. It cannot make use of any of the performance improvements we're
making, nor try out the new features for animation.

Given the current branching policy in KDE, trunk will be frozen at the end
of this month and will be unfrozen when 4.2 branches, sometime around
December.

That means the critical period for reviews is entirely missed.

Of course, that's a moot discussion for 4.2: I would not advocate
extending it by 3 months. But it's something to think about for future,
especially since 4.3 seems like the perfect opportunity.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358