Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Sun Sep 7 17:26:06 BST 2008

At Sunday 07 September 2008 17:27, you wrote:
> While the 4.1 and 4.2 releases need to come out quickly to fix the early
> porting issues, the case is less so for 4.3. I would instead recommend
> that the release schedule for 4.3 be increased: from 6 months to 8 or 9.

That's a discussion which can go to release-team mailinglist. We have decided a year ago that we would use a six month schedule. I've seen no reason to move to a 8 or 9 month cycle. I think it is very important for KDE to release at predictable times. Other projects might want to make a planning depending on our release, or are already doing that. Changing our release schedule at each release makes us unpredictable in that regard.

Besides that, a few months ago Aaron suggested yet another schedule which suited him better. I think Anne-Marie likes the period for feature development not to be during school holidays, I think everyone has his own preference, but we must think about the global picture.

> That would place Akademy 5 months after 4.2 and 3 or 4 months before the
> 4.3.0 release.
>
> Also note that Qt has a 8-10 month release schedule.

Again, if there is any real advantage lineing up with that schedule, please come to the release-team mailinglist and convince us.

It would take much to convince me personally to use another schedule then six months for reasons explained above.

Toma