moving kosdwidget to kdereview

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 4 21:19:59 BST 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> I run it in a non-composited environment ( ie. with kde compositing
> off ), it still has its rounded edges, etc. from a quick run a while
> ago, there is no difference between composited and non-composited mode
> unless something else does something.

ah .. you're using a shaped window then?

> defaultFont() and defaultPalette() are for applications to check
> whether or not the application will automatically update the palette +
> font when the kde color scheme changes ( yes, that does exist: please
> see lines 74, 114-126. line 74 allows the updating to be triggered.
> lines 114-126 actually do it.

as the application would change this itself, the application can also track
it, no? no point in bloating the api for it.

> the positionx() and positiony() functions are actually deprecated,
> they are back from the messy days when it and kdisplay were one piece.
> i have already removed them both. ( i will commit it though when i fix
> the api docs )

cool

> i am already working on cleaning up the apidocs as you have suggested.
> do you have any other suggestions for a positioning system? it is
> there so that applications do not have to worry about the screen size,
> or any changes. if i remove it then every application needs to handle
> it seperately ( leading to code dup. ). if you merely want to change
> the grid size that is easy to do.

i'd rather see a directional system, e.g. NorthWest or Center. it gives the
same effect without the odd 20x20 grid thing. when would i want an OSD at
(5,5)?

for that matter, what is the use case for when an application needs to set the
location of the OSD at all? can that be handled completely internal to the OSD
widget?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se