Natural language processing tech for the desktop!

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed Oct 22 20:05:15 BST 2008

On Dienstag 21 Oktober 2008, Jordi Polo wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, how about a grammar checker, similar to the spell checkers we
> > already have, but for grammar, which could be used in kdepim, koffice, or
> > anywhere.
>
> Some people argue that a grammar checker is not very useful. And anyway it
> looks pretty boring ...

I just read a competitive review of MS Office and OO in the German "c't"
computer magazine, which pointed out that spell and grammar checking are
really among the most needed features in daily office use, and the current
office suites are really not very good at it.  Personally, I don't use them
very often, but that's also because >> 90% of the "errors" are none, so a
*good* checker would be very welcome I think.  And that's a really
interesting research area AFAICS, since the task definitely requires
(artificial) intelligence to be done right.

I don't even think that spell and grammar checking should be separated very
much, since a spell checker should ideally know about the sentence structure,
too.

--
Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.