Natural language processing tech for the desktop!

Jordi Polo mumismo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 19:02:19 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jordi Polo wrote:
>
> > I __might__ be able to choose a project to work one year (I mean one
> year,
> > every day, several hours/day). The project must be something related to
> > NLP (Natural Language Processing).

> > Any opinion about these ideas is very much welcomed.
> >

> Hi,
>
> There's a project called Sonnet I believe, part of which is about
> discovering the language that a particular piece of text is written in. You
> might be able to work on that.

There is a opensource library that already does that. There is an algorithm
that is both fast enough and give reasonable results. I can port it to qt,
there is some code in playground/sonnet

> Also, how about a grammar checker, similar to the spell checkers we already
> have, but for grammar, which could be used in kdepim, koffice, or anywhere.

Some people argue that a grammar checker is not very useful. And anyway it
looks pretty boring ...

--
Jordi Polo Carres
NLP laboratory - NAIST