RFC: Multipage support in Gwenview?

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 14:33:15 BST 2008

Am Mittwoch 15 Oktober 2008 14:40:37 schrieb Parker Coates:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 04:58, Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau at free.fr>
wrote:
> > Now it's decision time:
> > - Should support for multipage be implemented? (András offered to port
> > his patch to KDE4)
> > - Should we instead associate .tiff files to Okular?
> > - Should Gwenview simply show an indication that this is a multipart
> > document, suggesting to open it with Okular?
>
> Making a major addition to Gwenview's scope just to handle a small
> subset of images, just seems like a bad move to me. My preference
> would be option 3, possibly combined with option 2.
>
> Most of my personal exposure to TIFF files has been as multipage
> "digital fax" documents, but I'm sure there are others who have never
> seen such things and use TIFF solely as a lossless image format.
> Without some actual usage statistics, I have no idea how one would
> decide the filetype association. You can't even use the "path of least
> surprise" method. Is it more surprising to have a simple image open in
> a document viewer or to have a multipage document open in an
> application that tells you to use a different application altogether?
>
> I guess a forth option could be to use the Okular part if it's available.
> - Read the image.
> - If it's single page, display it as normal.
> - If it's multi-page, check if the Okular part is available.
> - If it's not available, display the image as normal, but with a
> warning about the missing pages.
> - If it is available, embed the part.

This looks like the perfect solution to me. Multi-page images have more of a
document character but you'd expect them to be viewable in an image viewer,
especially if you don't know about the multi-page propery.
Additionally it could be marginally useful to recognize multi-page (or
explicitly fax?) TIFFs and open them in okular [e.g. if you click on them in
konqi]. But this is probably hard to do as well as of doubtful usefulness.