RFC: Multipage support in Gwenview?

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:40:37 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 04:58, Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau at free.fr> wrote:
> Now it's decision time:
> - Should support for multipage be implemented? (András offered to port his
> patch to KDE4)
> - Should we instead associate .tiff files to Okular?
> - Should Gwenview simply show an indication that this is a multipart
> document, suggesting to open it with Okular?

Making a major addition to Gwenview's scope just to handle a small
subset of images, just seems like a bad move to me. My preference
would be option 3, possibly combined with option 2.

Most of my personal exposure to TIFF files has been as multipage
"digital fax" documents, but I'm sure there are others who have never
seen such things and use TIFF solely as a lossless image format.
Without some actual usage statistics, I have no idea how one would
decide the filetype association. You can't even use the "path of least
surprise" method. Is it more surprising to have a simple image open in
a document viewer or to have a multipage document open in an
application that tells you to use a different application altogether?

I guess a forth option could be to use the Okular part if it's available.
- Read the image.
- If it's single page, display it as normal.
- If it's multi-page, check if the Okular part is available.
- If it's not available, display the image as normal, but with a
warning about the missing pages.
- If it is available, embed the part.

Parker