Resolving icon naming conflicts

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon May 26 09:43:41 BST 2008

Hi core devs,

JRT and I have a small disagreement about an icon name (and possibly more in
the future), and it seems we can't resolve this issue by discussion as each
of us has already presented all of our arguments and we still can't find
consensus.

I ask you, "immediate supervisors" (quote JRT) to take a look at this thread:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=121062542200004&r=1&w=2
and help us out in resolving this issue.

Especially regarding the question of who has the authority for icon naming
decisions if dead ends like this one creep up. It's a slightly difficult
issue as icon naming affects artists and developers alike, and doesn't really
belong to any existing realm.

kdelibs? handles icon loading and the technical side of icon fallbacks.
oxygen? is what i work on, but also affects other themes.
kdebase/runtime? has oxygen just as a "minor" part amongst other large pieces
of concrete code.

So who's responsible for this area? It also doesn't help that the
kdeartists module doesn't have an official maintainer listed at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Release_Team#Coordinator_List .

So, it's basically up to Oliver Goffart (kdebase/runtime coordinator) and
kde-core-devel (overall input and governance) to decide how this issue can be
resolved. Please advise.

I'm sorry to steal your time with annoying issues like this, but I can't
handle this by myself anymore, especially with JRT asking where he can go if
he doesn't agree with me (and considering that neither I nor JRT have any
official maintainership over icon naming).

Wishes,
  Jakob