KStandardAction DocumentBack & DocumentForward

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue May 13 00:17:22 BST 2008

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> In kstandardaction.cpp:
>
> Line 108
>
>     if ( QApplication::isRightToLeft() ) {
>       if ( id == Prior )
>         iconName = "go-next";
>
>       if ( id == Next )
>         iconName = "go-previous";
>
>       if ( id == DocumentBack )
>         iconName = "go-next";
>
>       if ( id == DocumentForward )
>         iconName = "go-previous";
>     }
>
> Might I first ask if there was a reason that this was changed vs KDE3?
>
> Was there something unsastisfactory about my work on in in KDE3, or did
> whoever changed it simply not understand why "DocumentBack" &
> "DocumentForward" need to have different icons than "Prior" & "Next"?
>
> My proposed names for the icons for "DocumentBack" & "DocumentForward"
> are: "view-previous" & "view-next".  These have been posted to
> FreeDesktop.org.
>
> With our rather sparse toolbars, you don't notice the problem, but if
> you don't like clicking through the menus all the time (i.e. if you
> actually use the software) and want the functions that you commonly use
> on the tool bar (in Okular for example) you wind up with all 4 of these
> on the toolbar and that is not any more satisfactory in KDE4 than it was
> in KDE3.  See attached.
>
> Note that I really don't understand why this toolbar configuration isn't
> the default.

I find that I wasn't having a good day and that it is considerably more
complicated that the above.

Note that the attachment has the "Fit to Page" and "Fit to Width"
toolbar icons reversed.

We had 4 KStdActions in KDE3:

	Back
	Next
	Prior

and this became confused somehow.  I believe that it was because the
CrystalSVG icon set originally had the same icons for:

	next
	forward

and

	previous
	back

So, now I see that we again have 4 Standard Actions:

	Prior
	Next
	DocumentBack
	DocumentForward

that are again using only two different icons rather than the 4
different icons needed for the toolbar [see attached]

It appears to me that the second two should have these icons:

	DocumentBack		go-next-view
	DocumentForward		go-previous-view

These are the toolbar icons to your right on the attached.

which correspond to the KDE3 icons:

	previous
	next

--