Drop-in replacement for QFontComboBox, better previews

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 6 18:46:34 BST 2008

2008/5/6 Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic at gmx.net>:
>> [: Dotan Cohen :]
>> Another argument for keeping the font names is i18n. For English speakers,
>> who are used to seeing English is every imaginable font since birth, there
>> is no problem understanding which letter is which.
>
> Ah yes, that's a good point -- not so rarely have I winced at a font name
> rendered in itself. Even among "normal" fonts, Chancery being a good
> example :)
>
> Anyone for not showing the font name in default desktop font?
>
> Another possibility would be to let it render in itself for English, but
> allow using the default font on a per language basis, where the respective
> language's translation coordinator would make this global choice in kdelibs.

Actually, I would like if the user could configure the example text.
For instance, I personally have a problem distinguishing between two
particular letters, so for me it is important that both the letters be
in the example text. For another user, another contingency. Also, the
user could then be sure to include characters of all the languages
important to him. For many of my documents, the font would have to
support three different languages.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il