Guidance in KDE Admin

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 17:29:11 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008 12:55:48 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> > > the first gen EEE PC comes with python on it already; the next
> > > generation devices will have even more storage. so these really aren't
> > > the devices that we need to be worried about here. when we're talking
> > > about "can we fit a python interpreter" on it, we're talking small
> > > devices like phones, ultraportable tablets, blackberries, etc..
> >
> > All right; I do not oppose Python specifically, but I'm worried of a
> > chain reaction where all kinds of interpreters get used all over the
> > modules. I'd rather have one blessed scripting language, but I fear
> > that's going to be a policy problem...
>
> i think we can get away with 2 or 3 languages. Allen W. sent a really nice
> list of requirements for such languages to the release team list and it
> really knocks it down to a few realistic choices: python, ruby and java.

For the record, here is the draft policy.
Comments welcome.

For the language:
1) must be an open, free language that meets our licensing requirements
2) must be a mature, high quality language with a large, vibrant
support community and a long expected lifespan.
3) must have mature, high quality KDE bindings available
4) must be mature and operational on all our target platforms
5) must be able to provide full translations and internationalizations

For the app:
1) must perform: speed-wise and memory-wise
2) must follow the kde look-and-feel, widgets, etc
3) must follow all our rules (docbook, fully i18n and i10n, Krazy ...)
4) not permitted in kdelibs or kdepimlibs

As is our tradition, the module coordinator, release team, and the KDE
project as a whole will make the final decision about which languages
and apps are appropriate.