Guidance in KDE Admin

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Thu Mar 27 20:43:21 GMT 2008

Hi all,

Nicolas Ternisien wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I would like to have your opinion about moving and integrate Guidance
> applications suite in KDE Admin, as default KDE applications.

Sebas and Riddell already jumped in and made the points I would have
made. :-)  Just to summarise my position:

* Until things are ported to KDE 4, it is premature to think about
moving it into kde admin. One step at a time. (I've been busy slowly
porting some of my other C++ utilities to Qt/KDE 4 and Python.)

* As Jakob and Jonathan pointed out, a lot of the modules need to be
rethought either because they may be obsolete or need a complete redesign.

* If people want Guidance in KDE Admin or whatever, it is fine by me.

Concerning resource consumption of Python programs, I'm happy with it,
and am not in the least a bit worried. I think this "resource usage of
non-compiled languages" boogie-man is overblown. Compared to the
equivalent C++ program, programs in Python or Ruby use more shared
libraries to get started (interpreter + binding code). Memory use after
than depends on what the program does and how good the interpreter is.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/