Feature Plan

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 00:03:40 GMT 2008

Hi,

> Things that (IMHO of course)
> should be there in KDevelop 4.0.

How are you going to pick the features?  Reading the discussions on the release
mailing list for KDE 4.0 it seemed like everyone had a tough time deciding what
exactly constituted "ready".  With a big vague list of TODOs it isn't easy to decide what
needs to be done.

I haven't had much involvement with KDevelop before but I think the most useful thing
would be to pick a couple of (relatively undemanding) classes of user, spell out their
basic 'survival' needs on the wiki and aim to get KDevelop in a state that they can use.

Right now KDevPlatform/KDevelop 4 in trunk installs a huge number of plugins by default
and the end result is that it takes a while to start up and is quite crash-prone.  Locally I stripped
out everything bar project management, editing, project execution and language support from the install
and it is much easier to work with.

Regards,
Robert.