Printing and scanning and Solid

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Mar 26 18:41:11 GMT 2008

Le Wednesday 26 March 2008, Anne-Marie Mahfouf a écrit :
> (Evin noted that Glimpse is already the
> name of a file indexing system, shouldn't it be changed?)

Yup, IMO we should avoid this naming clash, could be confusing in the future.

> I would expect my printer being detected by
> Solid and in the Solid notifier being able to set some options about it:
> for example having the printer-applet always shown when the printer is on.

The issue is two fold here:
1) Solid itself doesn't report printers, we did before 4.0 but that got
removed since the exported interface was immature. It happened mainly because
we didn't get enough feedback about the information required by applications
writers regarding printers.
2) The device notifier can display devices and actions of all sorts, but is
for now limited to storage devices simply because no one wrote action files
for it yet. We're probably lacking a document explaining how to do that (it's
pretty similar to konqui's service menus).

> Same for Glimpse. When my scanner is active, shouldn't the Device Notifer
> get it and propose Glimpse as an action?

Same than for printers, no interface exposed by Solid for now.

> So I'd like to know if it's possible for the currrent printer people (the
> ones who did the KDE print dialog + Jonathan) and the libksane + Glimpse
> people to see with Kévin about integrating Solid and being able to notify
> the KDE 4 user about this hardware state.

I'm all ears, if people show up on kde-hardware-devel or on #solid I'd be glad
to help them working on adding their favorite device types to Solid.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."