Kubuntu Settings in KDE

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 20 16:42:40 GMT 2008

Kubuntu makes some changes to KDE's default settings.  Some are distro
specific (e.g. no icons on the desktop) but I think some of these
should go into KDE directly.

Please comment on which are sensible to go into KDE and which are
plain wrong.

Jonathan

== kdelibs ==

 * Sub menus are bad.  To simplify the k-menu, Utilities has been
   flattened to one level.  The old kcontrol categories
   (X-KDE-settings-hardware etc) have been marked not to be included
   to stop them appearing in Lost and Found.
 * cryptodefaults: don't warn when submitting forms to unencrypted
   sites, everyone does this all the time with Google etc
 * kdeglobals: show previews in file manager by default
 * kcookiejarrc: accept cookies by default (I find it hard to believe normal
   users really want to filter every single cookie)
 * kio_httprc: set Firefox userid on google.com, makes gmail and
   calendar work
 * kwalletrc: don't run first time wizard, its more confusing than
   than just asking for a password

== kdebase ==

 * dolphin: show information bar by default
 * ktip: don't run this.  Just kill it.  Kill it dead.
 * kwin: double click on window bar to maximise/minimise (does anyone
 * use windowbar shading?)
 * konquerorsu: NoDisplay in apps menu (root is bad)
 * klipper: NoDisplay in apps menu (autostarted)
 * systemsettings: NoDisplay in apps menu (in Computer and Favourites)
 * kmenuedit: NoDisplay in apps menu (in right click menu)
 * Home.desktop: NoDisplay in apps menu (we have a Computer menu)
 * click instead of hover on kickoff

== kdeutils ==

 * kwalletmanager: NoDisplay in menu (available though systray applet)

== kdenetwork ==

 * kppplogviewer: NoDisplay in menu (available through kppp)

== kdepim ==

 * NoDisplay on apps included in Kontact, users don't need two ways to
   get to the same thing

== kdemultimedia ==

 * Add an autostart file for kmix, set main window hidden by default

== kdesdk ==

 * Don't show profile option for kate, its confusing and gets in the
   way of the app just starting