XIO errors

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Jul 22 14:37:35 BST 2008

On Monday 21 of July 2008, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> On Monday 21 July 2008 15:57:18 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  The actual problem appears to be KApplication::xioErrhandler() emitting
> > aboutToQuit() - with XIO errors, the application is not about to quit,
> > it's about to fall flat on its face, hard. I will remove that code.
>
> I've gotten my share of those bugs with XIO-Error backtraces assigned to
> Phonon. For all I know it is unrelated to Phonon (well except that a "clean
> shutdown" attempt on an XIO Error makes phonon-xine crash).

 Looks like. It appears the backtraces point to Phonon only because the
cleanup from the XIO error handler triggers Phonon cleanup and that doesn't
cope with the situation well.

> I'm not sure what to do about them, I could just close them all for they
> are not Phonon bug reports (I'm pretty sure Phonon is not guilty of using
> the X connection from other threads - the only place where something
> related happens is the xcb video output plugin from xine.)
>
> Am I right that in order to debug those crashes you need to run the
> application with --sync?

 That could help. It is possible something corrupts the Xlib queue and it
causes problems after the queue is flushed.

> Remaining question: to what module should we assign those backtraces, and
> should we close all of them as duplicates of just one? (I think we
> should...)

 Depends what is causing those problems (i.e. cannot be told without
using --sync).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz