XIO errors

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Mon Jul 21 20:19:09 BST 2008

On Monday 21 July 2008 15:57:18 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Saturday 19 of July 2008, Joris Guisson wrote:
> > In the backtrace you can see that the _XIOError function is called,
> > this then triggers kde_xio_errhandler which starts shutting the down
> > the app (which then crashes).
> >
> > Does anybody has any idea what is causing these XIO errors ?
>
>  Lost connection to X server, usually (see man XSetIOErrorHandler). It
> doesn't fit the error description, but I can't see how one could normally
> get this problem otherwise.
>
>  The actual problem appears to be KApplication::xioErrhandler() emitting
> aboutToQuit() - with XIO errors, the application is not about to quit, it's
> about to fall flat on its face, hard. I will remove that code.

I've gotten my share of those bugs with XIO-Error backtraces assigned to
Phonon. For all I know it is unrelated to Phonon (well except that a "clean
shutdown" attempt on an XIO Error makes phonon-xine crash).

I'm not sure what to do about them, I could just close them all for they are
not Phonon bug reports (I'm pretty sure Phonon is not guilty of using the X
connection from other threads - the only place where something related happens
is the xcb video output plugin from xine.)

Am I right that in order to debug those crashes you need to run the
application with --sync?

Remaining question: to what module should we assign those backtraces, and
should we close all of them as duplicates of just one? (I think we should...)

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de