Label Alignment in KDE4

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 22:37:21 BST 2008

Hi Celeste,

Some thoughts:

1)  Not everybody knew about the change.  kde-core-devel and kde-devel
get a lot of traffic.  It is possible that some people missed the
discussion.

2)  Many dialogs have just been ported from KDE 3 and not corrected to
fit the KDE 4 HIG.  This argument obviously does not apply to new
dialogs.

3)  More importantly, I don't think enough developers are in the habit
of reviewing new dialogs against the HIG or even submitting them to any
sort of review.  I think the approach within KDE sub-projects breaks
down like this:

- A small number of projects (eg. Okular) have designers 'on staff' to
review new UI.
- The larger projects (eg. Amarok, KDevelop, Krita) have multiple
developers who discuss user interface changes with one another as part
of the development process.  This is not a regulated thing and I think
it is the case that the level of review and checking against the HIG is
uneven.
- Projects maintained by individuals will largely depend on the
individual developers themselves to take the time to check the HIG.
Some regularly seek advice and help on kde-usability or via blog posts
but not everyone does.  Even if they do, it is easy to miss things.

I think it would be worth finding time at Akademy to think about a
simple review process for user interfaces, rather than just for code.

Regards,
Robert Knight.