Fwd: Request to move KGameTheme* classes from kdegames to kdelibs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 14 10:37:37 BST 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> On Monday 14 July 2008 03:18:23 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 July 2008, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> > > The new place for the classes could be kdelibs/kutils, and the names
> > > could be KTheme and KThemeSelector.
> >
> > KThemeSelector would probably belong in widgets/, but in any case ..
> > these classes look like a harcoded subset of what we provide with
> > Plasma::Package, while also avoiding the conventions of KPluginInfo (e.g.
> > for the author, email and description entries).
>
> That's why we asked now :)
> I haven't looked at Plasma::Package, but there's probably quite some
> potential for merging with hot new stuff and providing one good way for
> plugin/applet etc management for all of KDE.

agreed; the Package classes in libplasma were meant to be used with HotNewStuff
and may even end up migrating over to that library for 4.2.

it has proven powerful enough to use with wallpapers, themes, various forms of
plasma widgets, superkaramba, mac os widgets and google gadgets. it's probably
not 100% perfect, but it's a decent base to start from imho. we also tried to
use existing facilities as much as possible, such as keeping compatible with
KPluginInfo...

> > perhaps, as we seem to be working on similar issues (and KTheme and
> > KThemeSelector would, unfortunately, not work at all for plasma based
> > apps), we could get together (on irc? mailing list?) and figure out what
> > our common needs are and come up with a shared solution...
>
> Sounds great, we'll ping you on irc.
> We should also talk to the gametheme devs - Mauricio and Matt will be
> interested.

agreed. let me know what time would work for you guys on irc and i'll try and
be tehre.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se