Text in tabs being cut off

Girish Ramakrishnan girish at forwardbias.in
Tue Jul 8 05:28:15 BST 2008

Michael Leupold wrote:
> Am Montag, 7. Juli 2008 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
>>> Then I propose putting a patch into qt-copy.
>> I won't interfere, but bear this in mind: each patch added to qt-copy is
>> another source of breakage that Qt developers did not foresee. It may
>> introduce problems somewhere else. It being good for Qt 4.5 doesn't mean
>> it's good for 4.4.
>> [...]
>> Until then, for KDE's stability sake, please be careful with qt-copy
>> patches.
>
> I understand what you mean. That's the main reason I hoped someone could
> comment on it. The bug itself and the fix are quite obvious. I can't however
> foresee if correcting it might break someone else's code - anything that uses
> the sizehint and paints a QTabBar that isn't too narrow would gain one extra
> pixel (I guess that would include QStyles as well).

Fixing it in qt-copy won't make tab bars look correct on distros that
don't ship qt-copy. I thought qt-copy was for "immediate" hot fixes that
we want immediately during development. And the fix is arriving in the
next patch release (and we know the tab bar fix is coming only in the
next minor release). I might be completely off in my understanding of
the purpose of qt-copy here...

In any case, why not have the fix in KTabBar ifdef'ed for <= 4.4? If
that's not possible maybe special case it in oxygen style's CT_TabBarTab
(other styles will still be broken).

Girish