Consensus on the kdelibs coding style

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Sun Jul 6 18:01:49 BST 2008

On Sunday 06 July 2008 18:49:57 Michael Jansen wrote:
> On Sunday 06 July 2008 17:44:40 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 07:52:55PM +0200, Michael Jansen wrote:
> > > If you are convinced code get's unreadable because of one/two
> > > missing/unneeded spaces i assure you the problem is on your side.
> >
> > yes. and who do you think you are to simply ignore this problem of a
> > non-trivial number of people?

And one thing i forgot.

I have a problem with people bullying others because of such unimportant
things like spaces.

And if you would like i guess there are people out the that have problems with
braces on the end of the line. Lubos for example.

There are people out there wanting/needing tabs instead of spaces. Andreas
said he likes tabs, i read a blog of someone recently who prefers tabs. What
about their problems?

The kdepim people like spaces inside of parentheses. What about their problems
when working on kdelibs code. Perhaps there is someone having problems with
them missing. What about his problems?

What makes your problem more important / urgent than my ore their problems.

I care only for readability of code and sit here in horror after every commit
waiting for one of that obsessed people to rip off my commit because he
doesn't like my indentation. I have problems with self esteem and don't like
getting called out in front of 1000 people or how many that list read.

That last paragraph isn't true but i guess you get the concept. If you really
have a problem with those spaces and i mean a real problem, not some "i want
everyone to do it my way" problem then please realize it's that. your problem.
Pushing it one everyone else isn't polite.

Mike

--
Michael Jansen
Available for contract work ( Development / Configuration Management )