Closing the arts product in bugs.kde.org

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Sun Jan 13 22:24:51 GMT 2008

On Jan 13, 2008, at 2:24 PM, Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:

> On Sunday 13 January 2008 11:53:52 am Maksim Orlovich wrote:
>>> this is precisely why i suggested we have a *separate* b.k.o
>>> repository
>>> for
>>> kde4 on. it avoids this whole mess.
>>
>> That makes sense for plasma/kicker. It makes no sense for apps
>> that are
>> similar for both 3.5.x and 4.0... Which is the majority of apps.
>
> However, just because KDE 4.x is the "New Hotness" does _not_ mean
> that we can
> blithely lockout bug reporting from older products. Doing this
> smacks a
> little of proprietary software that puts people on the upgrade
> cycle since
> they won't support you at all. While I'm not arguing that people
> shouldn't
> upgrade (in fact I hope they do), I am arguing the same thing I've
> said
> before with the arts product: THERE ARE GOING TO BE PEOPLE USING THIS
> SOFTWARE FOR A WHILE YET! The last time I raised this, I got plain
> ignored.
> Please people, stop crusading to close out bugs just because it
> artificially
> would bring the bug count down.

Sorry, but I will continue crusading, as you call it, because leaving
these useless bugs in there does us (as developers) more harm than
good. Arts will see zero further development and is dead. Why
continue allowing it to live on in bugzilla just because it's used by
lots of people (who obviously don't report bugs against it)? Why
continue allowing people to think that bugs in arts might stand any
chance of getting fixed?
--
Matt