kio_giobridge IO slave

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Fri Jan 4 14:39:46 GMT 2008

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2008, nf2 wrote:
>
>> Over the Christmas holidays i have written an experimental kio_gio/gvfs
>> bridge IO slave for KDE4:
>>
>> The kprotocolinfo system has been extended to allow a "multi protocol"
>> slave (protocol = "*") which receives all calls for protocols not known
>> to KIO. Furthermore there is a "OverrulesProtocols" parameter to
>> override some protocols which KIO already provides.
>>
>> [Protocol]
>> exec=kio_giobridge
>> protocol=*
>> OverrulesProtocols=smb,sftp
>> [...]
>>
>> Here is a screenshot of dolphin, listing a folder on a gvfs smb mount:
>>
>> http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/devel/stuff/kio_giobridge.png
>>
>> http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/devel/stuff/kdelibs_gio_080103.patch
>>

> That looks cool :-)
>

>> The patch integrates "kio_giobridge" into kdelibs. It supports
>>

> I am quite sure the first step shouldn't be to integrate that directly into
> kdelibs.

Don't know either. I thought it might be in kdelibs, activated with a
configure switch. But i agree that for the beginning it's better to put
it in a separate package (can someone please help me to create such a
package, because i'm rather new to this cmake stuff).

> How about adding the ioslave somewhere to kde svn (playground ?), and post the
> changes required in kdelibs separately ?

Sure. I think it's not important to discuss the final location of the
kio_giobridge slave at the moment. Time will tell.

> They are not that big, so there may be a chance. OTOH maybe we can come up
> with a better (more flexible) way to hand that over to the gio bridge
> ioslave.

Yeah. And they don't break the API. But there are more changes required,
because i would like to populate the "Places" panel with the
drives/volumes listed by GIO (the network mounts). I have no idea
where/how the "places" are generated at the moment. I guess it's not by
an IO-slave. Or perhaps just changing the "remote:" handler? Don't know
where that's defined....

Cheers,
Norbert