kio_giobridge IO slave

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Jan 3 12:58:42 GMT 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008, nf2 wrote:
> Over the Christmas holidays i have written an experimental kio_gio/gvfs
> bridge IO slave for KDE4:
>
> The kprotocolinfo system has been extended to allow a "multi protocol"
> slave (protocol = "*") which receives all calls for protocols not known
> to KIO. Furthermore there is a "OverrulesProtocols" parameter to
> override some protocols which KIO already provides.
>
> [Protocol]
> exec=kio_giobridge
> protocol=*
> OverrulesProtocols=smb,sftp
> [...]
>
> Here is a screenshot of dolphin, listing a folder on a gvfs smb mount:
>
> http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/devel/stuff/kio_giobridge.png
>
> http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/devel/stuff/kdelibs_gio_080103.patch

That looks cool :-)

> The patch integrates "kio_giobridge" into kdelibs. It supports

I am quite sure the first step shouldn't be to integrate that directly into
kdelibs.
How about adding the ioslave somewhere to kde svn (playground ?), and post the
changes required in kdelibs separately ?
They are not that big, so there may be a chance. OTOH maybe we can come up
with a better (more flexible) way to hand that over to the gio bridge
ioslave.

Alex