KDE4 Vision Document

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 21 23:23:12 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> Is there a formal KDE4 Vision statement anywhere?

no, as others have noted. i've been very hestitant to try to write such a
thing because of the pushback that i feel would be innevitable.

the dark secrete i carry ;) is that i already have such a vision statement for
KDE4 and i present it at conferences around the world on a regular basis. so
oddly enough the outside world knows what our vision is better than we've
articulated it internally.

the vision statement i present was derived by looking at all the new
development in KDE4 (changes to kdelibs, the new frameworks, the new apps and
the updates to existing apps) as well as the language used in common
conversation during KDE4 development. i then tried to extract the
commonalities. so this vision statement is not personal to me, but rather
what i've discerened from the broader movement. (it would have ended up a bit
different if it was up to just me alone, but that's the beauty of a team
effort: it's better than any single one of us)

i came up with three broad topics:

* Beauty
* Portability
* Function

Beauty gets broken down into:
* Breathtaking visual design
* Usability
* Modern graphics programming (made easy)

Beauty -> Visual design is broken down into:
* cues from industrial design in terms of ergonomics and streamlining
* modern art trends
* as a core principle: realization that visual design and usability are linked

Beauty -> Usability is broken down into:
* HIG (WIP) is important
* Flexibility is good, "interface follows implementation" configuration is bad
	* "passive configuration" -> configuration is a natural part of the interface
	* thinking about how a feature appears to the user, not the app
* Organics
	* The evolution principle: making software exploit the hardwired traits our
minds and bodies have taken on through evolution in the physical world
	* The "(almost) nothing is square, (almost) everything is gradiated in color,
and (almost) anything can be put anywhere" principle

Portability gets broken down into:
* "In-bound" portability (greater adoption of fd.o and other external specs
and technologies; this is the "KDE working with the rest of the world to make
the rest of the world's technology work better with KDE")
* "Out-bound" portability (our platform choices: Linux, BSD, OpenSolaris,
Windows and MacOS)

Function gets broken down into:
* Frameworks
* Applications

Function -> Frameworks vision ends up with:
* Consistent APIs that:
	* hide the platform specifics (portability)
	* abstract away changes that may happen (future proofing)
* Integration & Synergy: Solid + Phonon, Solid + Threadweaver, Akonadi +
Plasma, etc.. our frameworks are meant to work together, and when this
happens even better things come of it (the "your chocolate is in my peanut
butter" principle ;)

then there are the "soft" (e.g. non-technical) topics:

* Target audiences
* The spirit of KDE

Target audience topics include:
* A focus on crossing the chasm (yep, ripped that phrase right off ;) from
early adopter to early majority
* Consumer software for the hip and forward thinking
* Productive software for the professional environment

The spirit of KDE:
* Freedom to the consumer and to the contributor
* Community
* Not chasing other people's taillights, but shooting for the stars

that's sort of the rough sketch of it. i'd be happy to flesh it out into a
full document on techbase that others can then discuss and we can modify,
etc, together. my only conditions on doing so are that i don't get smacked in
the face for "having the audacity to speak for others in the project" and
that we can discuss changes to the document in a constructive manner. this is
just because i don't have the energy right now to take on yet another
initiative that results in me put in the middle of argumentative controversy.
i'm sort of at my physical limit for that right now. (yeah, yeah, i'm
fragile.)

i'm also happy to let someone *else* draft such a document. i do think it is
important and useful to do so, however.

> Having and maintaining this document (I assume in techbase?  where else
> would it go?) is extremely important for all contributors.  Having this

such a document on its own is, of course, not enough. it needs to be part of
the fabric of the culture of the project. or rather, it needs to reflect the
fabric of the culture of the project. it needs to take the words and phrases
we use to talk to each other. it needs to not just express our goals, but
express them using the terminology and beliefs we hold to be self-evident (to
borrow another great phrase from history).

that was the reason for the "work backwards from the processes we are engaged
in" approach.

if the document achieves that, it would be *tremendously* useful for new
contributors as well as those who may not have the deepest insights into the
technical coding aspects of the project.

> document is a necessary first step before backfilling on any user research
> and usability work in the future.

agreed.

--
Aaron J. Seigo