New class KWidgetBlendAnimation

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Feb 20 17:56:14 GMT 2008

On Sunday 10 February 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 09 February 2008, Robert Knight wrote:
> > I agree.  Cross-fading large images is an expensive operation.  I
> > would like to be corrected, but I don't think I have seen a really
> > fast software implementation.
>
> not that i know of in software ... in any case, the transition is a bit too
> much imho, even if it was inexpensive. it could be simpler to just
> transition a header area (have the text "rotate" out, or just
> slide-across), or ... even better (but significantly more tricky to
> accomplish?) would be to visibly connect the items on the left to content
> on the right ...

"a bit too much" in the sense of "too heavy on the eyes" or in the sense
of "most computers can't do this"? I'm assuming you mean the latter since I
think the animation is really subtle.

What I'm trying to do is just to add a bit movement on the right so the user
notices that something changed when he clicked on the left. And I didn't want
to do it with a blinking red rectangle. :-P I tried to connect left and right
but apparently failed (I only got negative feedback for the screen capture I
did of that animation). I don't know how to do the slide effect without > 50%
of the KCM code just doing that animation (which would be a third kind of "a
bit too much").

I'm open for good ideas...

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de