DrKonqui appearance (was: Re: New KMessageBox Style )

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:09:41 GMT 2008

Hi,

> I've rewritten the error message there so it's imho more obvious to the end
> user what has happened, and how to address the problem. I hope this gives
> some inspiration to improve the dialog.

The wording still needs adjustment for some users.  For example, what
is a "fatal error"?  Did the program just kill somebody?  In Urs'
screenshot, the dialog still has text about a "signal" and "SEGSEGV" .
How the program actually died is not relevant to anyone other than the
developer, all that everyone else knows is that it inconvenienced them
and possibly lost some work.

On a broader note, requiring the user to actually go to bugs.kde.org
to file a report and copy in the backtrace probably means that the
majority of crashes are never reported at all.  Windows has been
sending automated crash reports for years now and I believe Gnome does
as well.

Regards,
Robert.