New KMessageBox Style

pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Sat Feb 2 12:59:41 GMT 2008

Em Sábado, 2 de Fevereiro de 2008 12:16, o Friedrich W. H. Kossebau escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, 2. Februar 2008, um 00:21 Uhr, schrieb Urs Wolfer:
> > I have worked on a new KMessageBox style. Aaron has suggested to create
> > something similar to the new DrKonqi style.
>
> Is there a screenshot for those who never see DrKonqui, please? ;)
>
> > Thanks to Nuno's help, I have
> > now a patch ready. Patch is attached.
> >
> > I don't think it's necessary to tell more about it. Let's talk the
> > screenshots :)
> > http://home.fwo.ch/~urs/temp/kmessagebox_info.png
> > http://home.fwo.ch/~urs/temp/kmessagebox_warning.png
> > http://home.fwo.ch/~urs/temp/kmessagebox_error.png
> > http://home.fwo.ch/~urs/temp/kmessagebox_list.png
> > Comments?
>
> Good idea to touch this, but sorry, don't like this solution too much. I
> find it too much hiding the nature of the visual signals, that is color and
> shape, so the meaning gets lost a little (info vs. error).
> Couldn't those perhaps not be merged with the whole view in general, like
> this:
> A message box (hm, dialogbox would be a better name, no?) consists
> typically of
> 	Message.
> 	Question.
> 	Options to select answer from.
> Now could the message part itself not get some styling, reflecting the
> nature (info, warning, error) of it? It is already done in other ui (cmp.
> Eclipse or banking webinterface dialogs), and I find it helpful. Perhaps
> even the whole background of the window could be effected by the signal
> color -> needs additional colors in the color palette, if they aren't there
> already as discussed previously.
>
> And I wonder if KMessageBox is still the way to go and promote for one-way
> user interaction (all "dialogs" with only a OK-button). Isn't it rather the
> way Okular, K3B and Co. are going by having (passive) in-pane message
> displays? And then those messages are rather best to be feed to the
> KNotification system, so the user can decide what she likes best. (Alright,
> KNotification contains still the option to show such window boxes, so they
> still need a styling).
>
> Could other effects be applied perhaps? And has there been any discussion
> with the Usability and accessibility folks? :) After all this is about
> direct user interaction.
>
> Friedrich
I have been working with this with Urs Wolfer, and one thing i noteced was the
pour quality of the text's. Not the english of it ofcourse (coming from me
that is a joke.)
But what you have just said, they tend to be blocks of solid text that are
very tecnical and hard to read.. In other casees they are just a single of
text that tells you nothing...

in this cases we are looking for an all grounds solution couse we dont have
the control over the text bit...And visualy specking its not easy ...

Any way we will try somthing difrent ....

BTW brainstorming on the subject on #oxygen now about its and possible
solutions, you guys are more than welcome to pop up.

--

core oxygen icon designer