reduced link interface: some link breakage possible

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Dec 16 21:07:12 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008, Richard Moore wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Matthew Woehlke

> > The original post clearly stated that you may "get some undefined symbols
> > when linking".
>
> Surely that's against our compatibility policies then? AFAIK this is
> supposed to be guaranteed through a major release cycle.

Yes, it kind-of breaks source compatiblity, and this should not happen. We
could argue that something which was linking before and doesn't link now was
actually broken and was working only accidentially.
I brought this issue up in May:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-buildsystem&m=121011139531168&w=2

Anyway, we don't really have a choice.
Debian ships KDE with these changes applied (since a few months already), so
they are already incompatible with what we release right now.
SUSE and RedHat (or Fedora) packagers also expressed interest in these patches
and that they would use it (I don't know if they already do).
So independent from whether we break this now or not, most users will get KDE
with these changes applied through their distros.

And in that case it's better we do it now, so we, the developers can make sure
it works, and all users get versions which are compatible among each other,
instead of of each distros patches KDE and ships something we don't know and
which can differ from distro to distro.

This issue was brought up just April this year, i.e. after 4.0 had been
released. We didn't make it for 4.1, but, now we really should, IMO have to,
do it :-/

Alex