reduced link interface: some link breakage possible

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 15 23:58:54 GMT 2008

Richard Moore wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at spin> wrote:

I'm sure Alexander doesn't need more spam, either.

>>  2.) You are probably using symbols from some library which you don't link to
>> directly, but which was dragged in via one of the other libraries you link
>> to, and these "dragged in" libraries have now been mostly removed.
>> In this case, add these missing libraries explicitely to the
>> TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES() command.
>> (because: less dependencies for packages, faster startup, some advantages in
>> keeping binary compatiblity).
>
> How does this affect binary compatibility? It sounds like this might break it.

See also http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.buildsystem/3922

(It's a bit unfortunate that people stopped cross-posting; as a result,
these questions are now getting asked and answered on two different lists.)

--
Matthew
Me: wtf?? "#warning This is temporary since Dec 2000". Seven-year