reduced link interface: some link breakage possible

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 16 00:07:20 GMT 2008

Richard Moore wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Richard Moore wrote:
>>> b/c means that a binary distribution of an app linked against one
>>> version of a set of libraries will continue to operate against future
>>> ones. In your example, will an app that was compiled using libcow and
>>> relying on the implicit linkage of libbar continue to work?
>> Why wouldn't it? You already linked it to libbar, that's the point I was
>> trying to make.
>
> I don't know - I am unsure of the way library dependencies work on all
> our supported platforms - that's why I asked.

I really hope there isn't such thing as a linker that looks at what
libfoo links to, uses that to resolve the library being linked (libcow),
and then doesn't record that information in libcow :-). For that matter,
I don't think any linkers try to do indirect resolution.

Again, I /might/ be wrong, and I didn't actually test it, but I'd be
surprised...

--
Matthew
Me: wtf?? "#warning This is temporary since Dec 2000". Seven-year