Some binary compatibility advice

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Mon Dec 15 23:13:43 GMT 2008

Hi all,

You learn a lots of things when you write library code. First of all, is that
at certain places a hook is really a 'life assurance', also that inheriting
QObject if not a really trivial class is pretty useful, at least for the
future.

For my bad luck, I didn't have this things into account when writing
KCategoryDrawer, and now I am "stuck" on a BC problem.

Look at:
http://websvn.kde.org:80/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/itemviews/kcategorydrawer.h?revision=760872&view=markup

Now, the new KCategorizedView will support block collapsing/expanding. As you
might guess, the view, when a category rect has been clicked (and wasn't an
item), will tell the KCategoryDrawer where the click happened. It will have to
determine if it was a hot point (in relative terms of position, because it
draws the marks for collapsing or whatever), and it should be able to emit a
signal.

But, KCategoryDrawer hasn't got a hook, and neither inherits QObject.

So, my idea was something like what Qt does with QStyleOptionViewItem.

I could write a KCategoryDrawerV2 inheriting KCategoryDrawer and QObject.
Would that fix the issue for now ?

Any ideas on how to fix that problem, or I could let implemented internally the
collapse/expand feature, and just wait for KDE 5 to correctly support it ?

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.