drkonqi and backtrace analysis

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Aug 4 11:54:27 BST 2008

 Hello,

 I'm not sure if anybody has noticed, but bugs.kde.org currently has loads of
reports with completely useless backtraces (and so there has to step in the
human factor in the form of the bug squad and do the
useless-please-install-debuginfo-heres-techbase-link routine). I've already
fixed that and rewrote the code a bit so hopefully next time it'll be simpler
also for somebody else to save the day, however with the usage of hidden
symbol visibility and so on useless backtraces have become quite common, so
these days it's not very nice to just shrug off all of those.

 Therefore I'd like to commit the attached patch which should try harder when
analysing the backtrace and should also collect information about which
binaries are missing debuginfo. The idea is that distributions will also ship
$KDEDIR/lib/kde4/libexec/installdebuginfo [1], and if it is available then
drkonqi will offer installing the necessary debugging packages and try again.

 I would like to also backport this to 4.1, together with the fixes which
already are in trunk, but a) this adds new i18n, and b) I think it needs some
testing, as there are still some issues I'm unsure about, such as:
- the dialog offering to install debugging packages hides the backtrace, so
one cannot actually tell if it's really necessary - any ideas for a better UI
solution?
- it currently lists even things like libc in the list of libraries needing
debuginfo if it's present in the backtrace, which may not be usually
necessary - should it restrict the list just to KDE/Qt libs or any better
ideas?
- it is a question whether the detection whether a backtrace is or is not
useless is not too strict - e.g. the backtrace from [2] is currently flagged
[3] as useless (with the copy and save buttons disabled), but it looks like
it could be actually good enough - is it ok to still complain, or any ideas?

[1] see Debuginfo::installDebuginfo() for invocation
[2] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=121784325621415&w=2
[3] for debugging it is possible to make it process any backtrace, see
beginning of BackTraceGdb::processDebuggerOutput()

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz