Question about KDE_MULTIHEAD

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Apr 22 10:54:22 BST 2008

On Monday 21 of April 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 21 April 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >
> > > that's correct; something that did occur to me the other day was that a
> > > "nice" way to handle this would be to add a config overlay to $KDEHOME
> > > for other heads for apps that need it.
> > >
> > > this way there's no special code in the apps themselves,
> >
> >  You need at least some - unique DBUS names and who knows what else.
>
> yes, if separate heads do indeed share the same session bus then that would
> be needed. perhaps we could provide some more-or-less generic code in
> libkworkspace for this? a function that takes a service name and mutates in
> a standardized way if it is not the first head? would help limit the amount
> of extra code needed to do this properly.

 Yes.

> what do you think about the configuration idea, though?

 I have no idea how that would work out. In KDE3 it seemed to be enough just
to have a different appname and thus different app config file, but that may
not be feasible with Plasma having many plasmoids, I don't know.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz