Question about KDE_MULTIHEAD

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 21 14:38:00 BST 2008

On Monday 21 April 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Sunday 20 of April 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > effort. So not wasting much of your effort on it either should be quite
> > > reasonable (since for the time being multihead must be pretty broken
> > > with KDE4 anyway, as e.g. Plasma doesn't support it at all).
> >
> > that's correct; something that did occur to me the other day was that a
> > "nice" way to handle this would be to add a config overlay to $KDEHOME
> > for other heads for apps that need it.
> >
> > this way there's no special code in the apps themselves,
>
>  You need at least some - unique DBUS names and who knows what else.

yes, if separate heads do indeed share the same session bus then that would be
needed. perhaps we could provide some more-or-less generic code in
libkworkspace for this? a function that takes a service name and mutates in a
standardized way if it is not the first head? would help limit the amount of
extra code needed to do this properly.

what do you think about the configuration idea, though?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se