KConfigXT Support for WhatsThis (Was: KConfigXT Support for ToolTips?)

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Fri Apr 11 00:32:22 BST 2008

On Thursday 10 April 2008 18:56:51 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2008 22:04:59 Allen Winter wrote:
> > Um... <whatsthis> in .kcfg files doesn't work anymore.
>
> What do you mean by "doesn't work anymore"?
>
> > No idea if this is a KDE4 regression or if this has been the case for a
> > long time.
> >
> > From what i can tell, you need to explicitly set a whatsthis in your
> > code, either by writing the C++ yourself or letting designer do it for
> > you.
>
> That's how it was designed from the beginning. E.g. in KOrganizer this
> method is used to set the What's This texts from the kconfig_compiler
> generated items. This used to work fine. Haven't tested with latest SVN,
> though.

If you look in the KOrganizer code, you'll see identical whatsthis
strings are hard-coded into the korganizer.kcfg file AND in the
koprefsdialog.cpp file.   My guess is that people did this because
they were expecting the whatsthis to magically work simply by
having it in the .kcfg file.  and it doesn't work that way.

Cornelius, could you please describe how it supposed to
work along with a code snippet on the techbase page?
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Development/Tutorials/Using_KConfig_XT

Then I'll add tooltips support to kconfig_compiler.

-Allen