Multimedia in KDE 3.5.8

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Sep 30 02:02:23 BST 2007

On 29.09.07 14:51:23, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Please discuss on kde-devel.
>
> IIUC, we are making a new release.  I agree that this is needed.  We
> should continue to make bug fix released and maintenance releases at
> least till 4.0.0 is released.
>
> I notice that we have some maintenance issues in KDEMultimedia.
>
> We do not appear to support the new MusicBrainz/TunePimp.  IIUC, there
> is a new server and a new protocol and that the old server is going to
> be taken down soon.
>
> We do not appear to support the latest releases of Ogg/Vorbis.  However,
> MP3 works on OK with KDE players on my system.
>
> I do not know the current status of aRts vs GLib.  I was running 1.5.1
> with Fedora patches which seemed to work OK.  I am currently trying the
> SVN 1.5 BRANCH without patches built against GLib-2.14.1 to see if it
> will work.  If not, I will try to find some patches for a version newer
> than 1.5.1.
>
> It appears to be that, if possible, these issues should be addressed in
> a maintenance release.

You're about 2-3 months too late. KDE 3.5.8 is scheduled for the very
near future (not sure wether it was Oct 3rd or 10th) and is already 1
months "behind schedule". Also KDE3 doesn't have to support all the
latest versions of all those things out there, IMHO.

Also as far as I can see libogg 1.1.3 is the current version and
libvorbis 1.2.0 and kde3.5.7 works perfectly fine with those, so maybe
the "support" for those is just a matter of an autoconf-check change,
which obviously distro's already do.

Andreas

--
Alimony and bribes will engage a large share of your wealth.